It’s hot outside, so we need some refreshments.
We at Volumio think that an User Interface refresh is the way! So please welcome: the new Volumio3 User Interface Beta!
We’ve been working hard in those months to improve usability and look of our beloved user interface, following all the great feedbacks from our Community and OEM partners.
The priciples we followed are:
- Re-use existing (and common) User Experience logics from mainstream music players. So, let’s not reinvent the wheel and let’s take what’s good in other music players out there. So you’ll notice that the structure might look familiar… We’ve taken pieces of UI from our favourite Music Players and combined them together to offer an easy and intuitive environment, without loosing the uniqueness of Volumio’s distinctive look.
- Allow for more expansion in the future: the new Ui is the first milestone in a bigger overhaul project (codenamed Volumio3). We want to allow advanced navigation capabilities (interlinking and semantic browsing) and providing credits, lyrics and additional informations in an easy and convenient way. This will take place by the end of this year, and we designed the user interface to be ready to adopt those new changes.
- Great focus on mobile: Mobile use is where we focused the most, with adaptive and dynamic menus.
Let’s see some screenshots:
Notice the left bar and bottom bar? Needless to say: this layout works…
An easier placement for settings…
Queue, for those who can’t live without…
And a great news… We are seriously preparing for multiroom…
The mobile playback view, in all its glory…
Browsing on mobile…
Album view on Mobile…
Multiroom view on mobile…
HOW TO ENABLE THE VOLUMIO3 UI BETA
- Update to latest version (the new UI is available starting from version 2.598)
- Head to Settings, Appearance and scroll to the bottom
- Enable The experimental Volumio3 UI
- Click save, and restart Volumio
- Once restarted, refresh your browser page
Since this is a major overhaul, we are keen to receive your feedbacks. So make sure that you let us know what you think, what does not work, what you would like to be improved in the dedicated forum thread.
THE BEST IS YET TO COME
As you might have understood, the contribution of MyVolumio are providing us with a great boost, which we are re-investing heavily in both the Free and Premium side of Volumio. And yes, we have many many new features and updates coming:
- Multiroom synced playback
- Advanced Browsing Capabilities
- Hiresaudio.com integration
- Deezer Integration
- Bluetooth integration
- Credits and Lyrics
- Analog Input playback
Those great improvements are to be gradually released from here to the end of the year. So, if you needed one more reason to try MyVolumio, now you have it: this will help us bring to you those functionalities as soon as possible!
Enjoy and have a great summer!